Sunday, October 17, 2010

To Keep or Not to Keep

Before starting on weekend errands yesterday, I was able to do some jotting on my final sex/love scene between my characters.  By the time I got home, I wasn't in the most "creative" mood, so I did some editing thanks to the wonderful advice of the talented Amber Skyze.  I am still floored that she would take valuable writing time to give someone like me advice. Back to editing!  Everything was going along fine until I started editing Chapter Three.  In the chapter, I go into Dragon's back story.  It talks about his military career, being a POW, and how he lost his eye and gained the eye patch.  (I have a thing about patches.  Its has nothing to do with pirates but more with the character of Patch on Day of Our Lives in the '80's!)  I actually had a dream about this chapter last night. The back story is good but I also think that it could be trimmed to one paragraph to keep the story moving.  Other than how he got the eye patch, the chapter really didn't move the story forward.  So today between meeting my sister, brother-in-law and the kids for breakfast, housework, scheduling for the week, getting a presentation ready, and correcting quizzes for a college course that I am teaching, I will be "trimming the fat" from Chapter Three.  I wish it was as easy to do it to the waistline as well.

Peace Out,
MRD

P.S. I probably still will be muddle over To Keep or Not to Keep long after the decision is made.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, that's an issue all us authors face, but you made the right decision if it didn't move the story forward.

    You're very welcome. :) I was glad to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amber. I can't believe what a difference it makes in the story. I like it so much more right now. It just seems to flow.

    ReplyDelete